News

Is Organic Baby Formula Worth It?

Is Organic Baby Formula Worth It?

Is Organic Baby Formula Worth It?

Baby formula is generally the same.  Every company wants the best for their consumers.  But is it worth the search and cost to choose organic? 

Organic foods are more readily available in stores today.  You can find organic produce in the same stores that you can find packaged organic foods on the shelves.  If you follow an organic lifestyle, you know that it is worth it for you.

 

But what about your baby?  You know that there is an additional cost to organic foods, and that is just as true for organic baby formula.  Just like standard baby formula, not all products are created equal.  However, the right choice is organic baby formula can make all the difference in the world to you and your baby.

 

 

Organic Baby Formula Uses Better Ingredients 

Organic means by USDA Organic standards that at least 95% of the food has been grown without pesticides, dyes, or chemicals for the purpose of fertilizing.  During the processing cycle, it cannot be irradiated, genetically engineered, or subjected to industrial solvents.  Even the remaining 5% must come from an approved list.

 

When it comes to baby formula, it is important to look at what goes in and what stays out.  While organic baby food still has the same number of calories and nutritional value on the label, it is free of artificial ingredients that can do more harm to your baby's development than good.  Some of those ingredients that are not found in organic foods include antibiotics that may be found in animal feed.  Exposure to chemicals can lead to allergies, skin irritation, and even neurological delays.

 

Organic baby formula standards in the European Union are much more strict.  Some companies go beyond organic standards.  Ingredients that are certified organic in the United States are prohibited from Europe's formula manufacturers.  This includes thickeners such as carrageenan and sweeteners such as corn syrup.  Since sucrose, better known as table sugar, has been banned from European baby formula, companies have either continued or found better options that meet the organic guidelines.  HiPP Organic baby formula uses lactose as its sweetener.  It is the closest thing to the natural sweetness in mother's milk. 

 

 

Organic Baby Formula Has a Lower Environmental Impact

Organic farmers are better to the environment than high-volume farms for a number of reasons.  For one thing, they do not use chemicals or pesticides.  The farming practices are gentler to the environment and keeps the natural resources in mind.  Cows are not kept to a barn, but rather graze the grassy pasture.  Their natural waste is often the only fertilizer that the farmer needs. 

 

There is even the impact to the environment on a broader scale.  Organic food companies look to local agriculture to source their products.  Local farms mean that there is less pollution from transportation services like semi trucks.

 

Holle is known for its Demeter quality baby formula which is a part of biodynamic organic farming.  It starts with the best grass for the cows to eat, which allows them to make the best organic milk that goes into their baby formula.  Even their sweetener maltodextrin is a product of biodynamic farming. 

 

 

Conclusion:

As a parent, the choice to feed your baby organic baby formula is entirely up to you.  However, you may already know the benefits and just need a reminder of the good that organic baby formula can do to the growth and development of your little